After doing the post about organizing the cabinet on top of the fridge, I got to thinking about how much the kitchen has changed since we moved in. The view from my desk is so much better now! Things are not quite 100% finished, there is still a little bit of trim work to do around the new cabinets, but other than that we are pretty much done in there. Here is a before & after of the part of the kitchen I see from my workspace.
My next line was going to be “It’s amazing what a little paint can do!” but then once I got looking, realized we have done a whole lot more than just paint. Here is a breakdown…
1. Paint ceiling and have electrician brother-in-law install recess lighting. (thanks elen!)
2. Husband built and installed two new cabinets.
3. Husband build and installed nook for microwave. Also, spray painted microwave white – it was a hand-me-down and was almond color – the bane of my existence.
4. sanded and painted cabinets Behr kitchen & bath paint in “Frost” (thank you mother-in-law for the help there!)
5. Made new countertops out of maple and walnut, extended them to reach over new dishwasher.
6. got a dishwasher! woo hoo – husband built a cabinet surround for it.
7. New fridge! (I seriously think we kept our local Sears in business through the recession) We had switched fridges with husband’s gma who was moving out of her house and had spray painted that white as well – used it for a few years until it started getting really loud and sounded like it was ready to take off. Also, the fridge was in a different location when we moved in – just turned out perfectly to add a dishwasher and have the perfect sized place left for a fridge!
8. replaced windows! We did the whole house at once – LOVE the new windows. They are Hayfield and are made kind of locally in MN.
9. Paint! Wall color is Green Apple by Behr
10. Handyman husband installed a new door. The previous one was insanely leaky – we would get frost buildup on the inside of the door. Not just on the window, but on the wood door itself.
11. New flooring and baseboard trim. Heavenly.
12. Sanded and painted doors and trim, updated hardware.
That’s it! We’ve been in our house about 4.5 years and have just kept pecking away at projects like these. They all come together to make such a difference! To me the kitchen feels so much cleaner and (obviously) brighter. Love, love, love it.